Economic Development Lender / Business Consultant for Austin, MN office
Role: The role of the Economic Development Lender / Business Consultant is to provide start up, and loan packaging assistance to entrepreneurs who are members of the LEDC, and to existing business owner members of LEDC. It is also expected that this individual:
To Entrepreneurs: (45%)
- Will coordinate with partner organizations; to provide technical assistance through small business trainings and workshops, start-up business services, business planning, loan originations and financial packages, and consulting in accounting, legal services, marketing, real estate, renovation and construction.
- Will provide business planning assistance such as guidance to individuals on how to write and complete a good business plan, with executive summary, short and long term goals, mission statement, opening cost projections, monthly operating expenses, understanding of market study, and marketing and bookkeeping systems, etc.
- Will provide loan packaging assistance by gathering all necessary documents, and filling out forms and applications in order to present a loan package to other partner CDC’s, and or community or private banks that provide business loans, and explain what the client’s options are.
- Will provide business opening phase assistance on the regulatory process, business registration, obtaining certificates of assumed name, employer registration, and un-employment numbers, fill out forms, and gather all necessary documents in order to present them to proper licensing department, as well as to serve as mediator between city inspectors and entrepreneur in order to solve licensing issues.
To existing businesses: (45%)
- Ongoing technical assistance. Will help with understanding financial statements and tax related responsibilities, how to implement a basic bookkeeping and marketing system, payroll responsibilities and or referral to payroll service companies.
- Legal pro-bono referrals. Will help to identify what legal responsibilities and potential liabilities businesses incur, and provide advice about how to solve them. Businesses that are members of the LEDC have limited access to legal pro-bono services provided by law firm partners of the LEDC.
- Financial evaluation. Will provide individual assistance on how to read financial statements, identify potential problems, and provide advice on how to improve financial performance and fulfill financial responsibilities.
- Will assist businesses in developing and carrying out plans for expansion and rehabilitation projects including assistance with; contractor bidding, code compliance, project design, inspection, and government administrative procedures.
Other Responsibilities: (10%)
- Maintain contact and build relationships with local businesses and commercial property owners and provide assistance and information regarding availability on financing programs.
- Oversee compliance and maintain records documenting compliance with regulations pertaining to federal, state and privately assisted projects.
- Staff board committees pertaining to specific development initiatives.
- Provide support and leadership on development efforts, pre-development research, and other activities as needed.
- Build relationships with area community groups and promote LEDC activities throughout the region by attending meetings as necessary.
- Promoting LEDC business community through involvement in business associations that include Latino businesses, and participate at community events.
- To provide accurate information on all members served in order to keep proper records.
- Assist with other LEDC directed activities as necessary.
This description is a general statement of required, major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, written and spoken.
- Two years of business administration or more of college, university or equivalent experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, especially with MS Word, Excel, Publisher, power point, and data entry.
- Ability to work with people from wide variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Very reliable.
- Own transportation.
- Strong willingness to work as a team.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and the range is from $35,000-$40,000. Benefits include competitive health, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement package, and paid vacation and holidays.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Agricultural Business Development Program Director
Latino Economic Development Center
No phone calls please
DEADLINE TO APPLY MARCH 1st